Converting Formative Assessment to Summative
To make an assessment summative on the learnonline site, it must first be linked to the published Course Outline. This does not happen automatically.
Courses copied over from a previous study period will contain the assessment from the course it was copied from but they are converted to formative assessment. These formative assessments can be re-used for the current study period; but, they will not be summative until they are linked to the current Course Outline.
Courses created with a blank learnonline site will need to have assessments added from scratch, see Creating a Summative Assessment.
Formative to Summative
- On the course homepage, Turn editing on.
- Select 'Edit settings' for the assessment which you want to make summative:
- Click on the 'Modify Assessment method' link.
- Select the check box(es) for each offering where the assessment is the same
- Click Proceed to settings.
Note: There are many settings and generally only some settings require attention. All other settings have the correct defaults. See the Assessment Settings page if you need more information.
- The assessment name will default from the Course Outline but can be edited. The due date will also default from the Course Outline and cannot be changed.
- Allocate Extension Approvers under the Advanced options area.
- Click Save and return to course.
Note: After saving, if the system takes you back to the course homepage then your assessment has saved. If it takes you back to the top of the setting page you need to scroll down and there will be a red box indicating where there is an issue. For example:
After addressing the issue, scroll down to the bottom and click Save and return to course or Save and display again.