For large numbers of students, importing groups from a file may be an easier and less time consuming task. This is achieved by creating a "comma separated values" or .csv file containing information you would usually input one group at a time by Create group. This file is easily created in Excel with each field in a separate column as shown below and saved in the ".csv" format.
Note: These instructions are to create empty groups only, not to enrol students.
The first row of the file should contain the following fieldname headings (or column headings):
- groupname - this is the only field that must be included in the first line
- description, groupidnumber and enrolment key are all optional, as they are when you manually create a new group
You can also enable the automated allocation of the groups by adding an additional column called groupingname and the corresponding grouping name for each group.
A picture cannot be included when setting up groups in this manner.
For example, four groups could be set up as:
Subsequent rows can be added with information corresponding to the column headings. Once the file is created and saved as a .csv file, follow the steps below.
Note: Be careful when you save the Excel file that you choose to save as CSV (Comma delimited)(*.csv):
- Locate the ADMINISTRATION block on your course homepage and select the 'Users' link.
- Click the 'Groups' link.
- Click on the Import Groups button.
- Upload the .csv file that you prepared earlier by either selecting via Choose a file or dragging and dropping the file from your computer into the box.
- Click the Import groups button.
- learnonline will display the groups you've just added as in the screenshot below. If you click Continue, you will be taken back to the Groups page and the new groups will appear in the list of existing groups.