A Lesson presents to your students a series of pages of either lesson content or questions.
A lesson page generally requires students to make some sort of choice once they have read the content or answered the questions. Their choice determines which page they are shown next in the sequence.
If planned well, a lesson can present content and questions that can be customized to individual students with no further intervention from the teacher.
This is useful when you are, for example, orienting a class of students in your course whose basic knowledge level you are unsure of; you can lead students through the information, indicate to those with less knowledge the kinds of reading they should do to catch up, or direct those who find the questions impossible to contact the appropriate support.
Creating a Lesson Activity
- On the course homepage, Turn editing on.
- Click 'Add an activity or resource' in the section of your course where you want the lesson to be displayed.
- Select the Lesson option from the activities list.
- Click Add which is located at the bottom of the 'Add an activity or resource' box.
- If your lesson is intended to be a summative assessment, choose the relevant assessment from list populated through Course Outline. Otherwise check the 'Formative or non-assessed activity' box.
- Click Proceed to settings.
- Name the lesson at the top of this page.
- There are a number of settings on this page, see Lesson Settings for more information.
- Click either Save and return to course or Save and display if you want to begin adding content to the activity.
- Go to the Progressing a lesson resource to assist with adding lesson content to the activity you have just created.