Breakout Rooms in Zoom
Overview and Requirements
Breakout Rooms allow you to split your Zoom session into up to 50 separate sessions.
- To assign participants to rooms you must be a host rather than participant, alternate-host or co-host
- Participants must be using the Zoom Desktop App to enter a breakout room.
- If using the browser, they can leave mid-session and rejoin via the App.
- Participants must be signed in with a UniSA email account.
- They can leave and rejoin a meeting if they are not signed in or using another account.
The host can:
- create separate sessions automatically or manually
- can switch between sessions at any time
- can send a message to all rooms at once
- Groups can be assigned in settings prior to or during the session
Add Breakout Rooms to your Account
The host's settings must be updated before creating a breakout room in a session.
- Go to the UniSA Zoom Portal. Open Profile > Settings. https://unisa.zoom.us/profile/setting
- There’s a menu with Schedule meeting, In Meeting (basic) etc – select In Meeting (Advanced)
- Under the first setting called Breakout room make sure the feature Allow host to assign participants to breakout rooms when scheduling is ticked
Add Breakout Rooms to a Zoom Meeting
- Then return to the very top left menu (shown below) and select Meetings.
- Choose a meeting and scroll down to the Edit this Meeting button
- See if the Pre-assign participants to break-out rooms is now enabled.
This video walks through the process of creating Breakout Rooms.
Last modified: Wednesday, 1 April 2020, 4:06 PM