Workshop: Paraphrasing and Integrating sources
Attend this workshop (face-to-face or online)
- Find out how to paraphrase and integrate sources into your academic writing
- Register here
- Access the workshop slides here (pdf)
The information, resources and activities below are useful to:
- prepare for the workshop
- access if you are unable to attend
- refresh your understanding after the workshop.
Watch the interactive video (5 minutes, 51 seconds)
Key points from the video
Steps to help you paraphrase:
- Read the original text until you understand the idea
- Note down key concepts
- Write your version of the text without looking at the original
- Compare your paraphrase with the original and make adjustments if they are too similar
- Include a citation (in-text reference)
Other tips for paraphrasing:
- Start your sentence at a different point to the original source
- Use synonyms
- Change the form of words
- Change the sentence structure
Note: You will be able to export your notes at the end of the activity below.
Click through the slides below to learn how to integrate sources effectively in your writing.