The Scheduler plugin is an activity that can be added to your course and creates appointment slots to which your students can sign up. Instructors can add slots individually or in a block of slots for a specified period. You can create more than one slot for a single period, or set up appointments for groups, or set up appointments to repeat at regular intervals.
You can create multiple Scheduler activities within a single course. For example, you may set up one Scheduler activity for regular office hours appointments, and another for consultations on research projects, or for group projects.
There are three steps involved in setting up a Scheduler activity:
- Create a scheduler activity
- Add time slots
- Send invitations and reminders
To schedule activities, you will need to have Creator role assigned to you for the course. Contact IT Helpdesk to have this added to your account.
This feature is available to all courses where students enrol.
Create a Scheduler Activity
- On the course homepage, Turn editing on.
- Click the 'Add an activity or resource' link in the section of your course where you want the activity to be displayed.
- Select the Scheduler option from the activities list.
- Click Add which is located at the bottom of the Add an activity or resource box.
- Name the Schedule activity and provide a description if needed.
- The Scheduler Options are outlined below:
- enter the Role name of the teacher with whom the students will meet (e.g. Tutor, Instructor, Coordinator).
- Select how many appointments the students can register for via the Mode.
- If this appointment is for a group appointment, open the Common module settings section and select the appropriate Group mode and Grouping settings. In a Scheduler activity, Visible and Separate groups behave the same: either the teacher or any student in a group can schedule an appointment on behalf of the group.
- Select the Guard time - this refers to the time period where a student cannot book or drop an appointment.
- Enter the Default slot duration (length of appointment) in minutes.
- Select whether you and your students will be sent Notifications when appointments are applied for or cancelled.
- Click Save and display to begin adding time slots.