Self assessment is an assessment technique that simultaneously assesses and develops elements of Graduate Quality 2
Self assessment of group work is when each member of a student group is asked to
- reflect on their own performance in relation to set criteria related to group process,
- articulate a personal vision for improvement
- construction a plan by which to achieve this improvement.
Self assessment is often done repetitively to monitor progress in development of group process skills.
The teacher may chose to
- get students to use a journal and assess the students reflection, vision, and planing work
- get students to use a journal and submit their plans for improvement and milestones
- allow students to reflect and nominate one area that they will improve. At the the end of the group activity students need to submit a personal improvement statement that describes any improvement made and provides evidence for this development (e.g. their postings in online discussion groups for the group).
Self assessment can also be a helpful addition to peer assessment.